Saturday 17 March 2012

Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Revenge"

The conclusion to season 4 is here. After a disastrous episode last week, let's see if season 4 goes out with a bang!
This episode started off with a rather weird scene. Ok, maybe the scene itself wasn't weird (gotta love the Nightsister magic), but Maul's expressions were very wacky and weird. Watching him chasing that green mist/ball was like watching a kid chasing his favourite toy. No joke, that's what I was thinking when watching that scene. The scene where Maul got his new legs and lost the spider butt was a very good scene, and also had Maul regaining his memory. The animation was beyond stunning in this scene. 
The next couple of scenes were very interesting. There was a great scene of dialogue between Maul & Savage Opress that sent a chill down my spine (no joke). I'll put the quote further down in the review. That scene was great and really gave you a feeling of how Darth Maul had been feeling in the 10+ years since he was sliced in half on Naboo. I also loved how Darth Maul planned to kill innocent people just to get Obi-Wan Kenobi to come after him. It was a great and daring plan. And I also like how the shot in the picture above is very reminiscent of Anakin about to kill the Jedi younglings in Revenge of the Sith.
"My hatred kept my spirit intact even though my body was not. As I was lost and became a rabid animal, and such as how you found me, brother. Discarded, forgotten. I have missed so much. The force feels out of balance. 
"Yes, there is conflict. The clone wars."
"Oh, yes. So it began, without me."
"You can begin again, brother."
At the same time, I both liked this brief fighting scene and disliked it. Having slaughtered all the innocent people on the planet, Obi-Wan went out alone to confront both Maul & Savage. The scene where Obi-Wan & Maul meet again for the first time in many years was nice, with some great dialogue. Obi-Wan was made to look like a punk and a weak fighter in this scene, which he is not. I understand the concept that Obi-Wan needed to be captured, but there are so many ways they could have had Obi-Wan captured, in manners not as easily as he was here. He was taken out WAY too quickly and easily, even without Savage needing to use both blades in his lightsaber. 
This scene right here was epic, and among the best scenes in the series. Even when getting beaten up like heck, Obi-Wan still has his awesome sense of humour, with great quotes to Maul like, "You know, when I cut you in half, I should have aimed for the neck instead." And another great one, "I like your new legs, they make you look taller." Then when Asajj Ventress arrived, it got even better. The moment when Asajj gave Obi-Wan a red lightsaber was jaw-dropping for me personally, as I could never have imagined Obi-Wan with a red lightsaber before this episode. The moment when Obi-Wan said, "That's fine. Red's not my colour", was so full of win, and the fighting scenes that occurred were amazing. The moment where Maul started putting Obi-Wan down by talking about how he killed Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan's master, was quite moving and well written. It was great to see Obi-Wan feeling the effect of the dark side while fighting Maul, and it was obvious that Obi-Wan was full of anger as well. The remark's passing between Obi-Wan & Ventress were well done as usual.
And then we come to the concluding scene of not just this episode, but season 4 as a whole. And it was a well-written scene between Savage and Maul. Maul's expressions especially helped this scene, and Sam Witwer has done an amazing job at voicing Maul. And is it just me, or does anyone else think of Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter at some points about Maul? May just be me, but I see resemblances between this Maul and Voldemort.


My rating: This was another stunning episode, easily much, MUCH better than last week's disaster of an episode. The fighting scenes were especially great at the end, but there was too much dialogue in this episode for me. Rating: 9.5/10


PS: And after all the hype, no season 5 trailer aired afterwards. Let's hope for one at Wondercon later today.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with the rating. I really hope we get a trailer. CN never let us down before, why did they do it this time. Please don't let us down too wondercon

    ReplyDelete