Saturday 10 March 2012

Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Brothers"

Darth Maul is finally here! Prepare yourselves for a lot of drama, but in this review, and not in the episode.
I have to say it first before I go all-out berserker mode (kinda like Maul is), I LOVE Katie Lucas's writing! She is the best writer the show has, so what makes this episode even worse, she wrote this, and after all the great episodes she has given us in the series. She now gives us this junk? There's so much I dislike in just the first several minutes alone, I'll try and go through them. The Dooku/Grievous scene for a start, pointless. If they appeared again throughout the episode and did something, it would not have been so pointless, but no. Then THEY showed up. One reason I've loved this arc so far is the lack of the main trio, so you can imagine how sick I got when Ahsoka and George Lucas's child *Anakin* got out of the speeder. Were these brat's necessary in the episode? As it turned out, no. Were Jedi at all neccessary? No, not until Revenge. Then we got the owner of the diner having a tizzy fit about what Savage did in the bar, Anakin wanting some food *I hope he choked on it*. Then, we got the EXACT same scene (or close enough) as the Dooku/Grievous scene but with Anakin/Ahsoka. I was almost ready to go insane like Maul at this stage. Unfortunately, I did later on...
Surely now that Savage has actually reached the planet after several minutes of pointless crap, we'll now get somewhere good, right? Why must I be so WRONG? We get MORE crap. Ok, the episode was a little better here, but one high-pitched thing helped ruin it. His name: Morley. WHY? What was the point of this character. I have little time right now, so I'll say why I didn't like him very quickly. His voice was terrible, it sounded like a banshee at times. He had no role, unless acting stupid counts. He appeared too much, 5 seconds was bad enough. Did I mention Morley wrecked my head? Ok, I'll shut up on Morley just long enough to try and be a tiny bit positive. There was at least a little bit of action in it. Unfortunately, it wasn't good action. Why is that you ask? It was pointless. It's the kind of scene you get when the writer is struggling to fill up 22 minutes, and just throws a little action in there to keep people watching. I know I'm being very critical with what I don't like in this episode, but I'm making the points as exactly how they are. The one good thing to come out of the action scene truthfully, was that we got to see Savage Opress using his bada** double-bladed lightsabers again. But like I said, pointless action.
I'm sure you all hate me by this point, but I'll get to something I did like I wasn't expecting to like much (as much as others, shall I say). Darth Maul. His portrayal was stunning, I loved it so much, there just wasn't enough of him. And for all you fans out there who think he's WAY overdone or something. Well, I'd like to see you get chopped in half, fall down a shaft, somehow climb back out, somehow crawl to a ship, somehow fly the ship, get to Lotho Minor, and find a hideout, and stay very much sane after all that happened. Darth Maul was portrayed perfectly here, the only thing I don't like is how he looks like a spider. But his model in Revenge with two legs looks great. The guy's insane and mad in the head with good reason, and Sam Witwer does an amazing job voicing him. Screw everyone who thinks Maul doesn't sound episode 1, THIS voice is a million times better than his episode 1 voice. Sam Witwer for the win. I can't wait to see more of Maul in next week's episode, the last of season 4, and then the highly-anticipated season 5 trailer!


My rating: Overall, this was a very bad episode. I understand it's purpose in being a build-up to the next episode, but so many scenes were pointless, and it felt like the amazing Katie Lucas was trying to delay Maul appearing as long as possible. When he did appear, Maul was the best part of the episode. Rating: 3.5/10 (and even that in my opinion is generous).


But Revenge already looks so much better than this episode, with Maul facing off against his "killer":

No comments:

Post a Comment