Saturday 8 October 2011

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 4 "Mercy Mission" Review

And now we come to the fifth episode of the season already. The previous ones have treated us to thrilling-action, and some rather surprising moments. With this one being more of an adventure episode, how well would this one fare with fans? All depends on your point of view.
I've been waiting endlessly for this episode. Why you ask? I've got one word for you! WOLFFE!!! My favourite clone returned in this episode, and rocked some really sweet phase 2 armour. I like how the helmet design is based around Commander Neyo's, and not giving Wolffe the standard clone helmet, as he is too awesome for that. Aside from "Rising Malevolence" all the way back in the early days of season 1, this was Wolffe's first fairly important role. He had a lot of dialogue in this one, which is all the better for me. I was both surprised and happy that the Clone Wars crew made him slightly Imperial towards the droids, with his actions and words. Ironic, considering the Imperials wouldn't take on someone who had lost an eye.
The animation of this episode was really good. Especially in this little space scene. I really like all the colours they gave to that insect-creature there. And the clouds are a nice touch too.
Our favourite droids were taken along on this mission because clones and Aleenan people don't share the same lanaguage. So it was a good idea to use C-3PO's true role, which is as a translator droid.
Other than his EPIC armour, the other thing I was immensely impressed by with Wolffe's design was his cybernetic eye. This episode showed that it's not just a cybernetic eye, it's a cybernetic eye with the shape of an eye on it! Aside from the fact it is cybernetic, you might well think it is a real eye. Wolffe's design really caught me off-guard in this episode, I already really liked Wolffe and his design, but actually seeing it in the episode, well it is an excellent design.
Now to the parts I didn't like. Never mind I didn't like them, I hated them! While I like the general idea of our favourite droids (R2-D2 and C-3PO) having their adventures. I think the plot could have worked much better by changing around many things. For one, I didn't like the fact that they fell down a hatch to land where the adventure started. Seemed pretty lame and basic from my point of view. I didn't like the new creatures they showed us also. These tree-like creatures didn't impress me. They had a decent voice, but they just seemed pretty pointless and uneccessary. R2-D2 and C-3PO probably could have found their own way, albeit in a strange fashion, but that's just my opinion. I also didn't like that green female creature. She was really strange, and just seemed to be there to mock the droids. She was quite uneccessary to, and unlike the tree-like creatures, she didn't have a cool voice. The music chosen for whenever she appeared was absolutely dreadful. I'm fairly certain I heard several seconds of music from one of the Harry Potter videogames at one point. I'll have to look into that later. But, once their adventures there were over, I could relax, I really almost fell asleep, it bored me that much. The only episode I've ever fallen asleep during is "Evil Plans", the one Clone Wars episode I rated at 0/10.
When C-3PO and R2-D2 finally escape "the underworld", water blows them up and out of that place. The animation in this shot was pretty stunning, especially the water added into it.
One of the only things I actually liked about the episode was the inclusion of several of my favourite clones, plus the inclusion of the Wolfpack. From my point of view, the only good scenes in the episode focused on clones. We also saw the return of clone troopers Boost and Sinker, who haven't had a proper appearance since "Rising Malevolence", even though their names were called in "Padawan Lost", they didn't truly appear. Sinker and Boost could have easily just being used as obscure background characters in this episode, but I'm glad they gave them a couple of fairly important scenes, where they were the main part. Especially when they picked on C-3PO at the very start of the episode, Sinker's part I will put the quote after the review, and Boost then punches C-3PO lightly, and says "Suck it up, shiny!" referring to getting dirt on his armour, to show he's been in the "battle lines" and C-3PO replies "That will leave a mark!". Even later, Sinker and Boost still pick on him, Sinker knocking him against the wall of a building. I wasn't impressed with the way they portrayed Wolffe and C-3PO together. In the Clone Wars Adventures online game, they meet during a battle, and Wolffe dislikes C-3PO. However, the episode seems to show that they are meeting for the first time, and Wolffe's wanting to "be rid" of the droids by the end of the episode is more out of frustration, than dislike.

My rating: This has been far and away the worst of the season so far! It was great to finally see clones, and better still, some of my favourites, play an important role in the episode. But, it was really was a truly shocking episode. It wasn't rushed like the previous four, I can give it that. But to be honest, if it had been rushed, it might have seemed better and more action-packed, it was really bad. It was nice to see someone among my top three Star Wars characters (Wolffe), play such an important role, but, you just don't rate episodes based one character, or any number of characters. The Aleenan chanting really annoyed me as well, and looked so silly on-screen. Rating: 3/10.

Next-time: The Republic is under attack by General Grievous! Adi Gallia faces Grievous, the 91st Reconnaisance Corps appear! C-3PO and R2-D2 are captured by pirates. The droids fight in a gladiatorial arena? Plo Koon and the Wolfpack launch a rescue mission! Next-time on, "Nomad Droids!"

Quote:
C-3PO:"Oh really! Must you be so rough?"
Sinker:"You think this is rough? Wait till we get to the surface!"

No comments:

Post a Comment