Saturday 7 January 2012

Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Escape from Kadavo"

And it's back to reviewing episodes, with the conclusion of the "Slavers" arc!
The start to this episode was definitely a very dramatic and shocking start to Clone Wars in 2012. Having to watch Agruss mock Obi-Wan Kenobi definitely did not go down well with me. This was a really dark scene, especially when you watch a Zygerrian beating up a innocent Togruta slave for Obi-Wan's mistakes, and another slave getting beaten up because he was tired. This episode was great in this aspect, as it really gave you an in-depth view of what happens to the slaves in the world we live in. The character Agruss really annoys me, and did so especially in this scene, with his stupid laugh after he mocks Obi-Wan. Watching Obi-Wan being tortured three episodes in a row now was too much for me, as he is my favourite Star Wars character of all time. People like Obi-Wan, while the most fans hate Anakin, so Anakin is the one who should be tortured, and three episodes in a row is just overkill for torturing the same character repeatedly. When one Zygerrian threatened to kill a Togruta if Obi-Wan did not beg, that was really dark. The animation in the slave facility was very stellar. 
The next scene was a pretty annoying scene really. The cameo of Darth Sidious was nice, but in the show, all Sidious gets is a cameo, so nothing unusual there. I hate Anakin to death in this scene for a few reasons, but I'll just say the most important one. As Anakin does all the time on the show, he contradicts himself in the most stupid way. He tells Queen Miraj he does not run away. Not even 10 seconds after the Queen leaves, he runs away. So typical of the idiot the show is portraying Anakin as, nothing like the awesome character in the movies. I actually feel really sorry for that Zygerrian dude Anakin attacked, before throwing him down five stories and to his death. Another shocking moment. This was literally the only bad scene in this episode, in my opinion, but the rest of this episode more than makes up for this scene.
Now back to the good-(ish) scenes. I love the way Dooku is able to contradict Queen Miraj so easily, as he had been invited to Zygerria, by Atai Molec, the Queen's adviser. Queen Miraj definitely became a like-able character from my view in this scene, but I think Anakin is being a bad influence on her, as she is now making over-the-top expressions as well at times. But I think her changes between good character and bad character are a bit overdone. It's a bit extreme to see a character go through character change like Miraj so swiftly, especially given the ending of the last episode. The shots of Obi-Wan in the slave facility in this scene were quite touching, and really well executed. Especially the dark one with those blue and bright lights going around. For some reason, that part bright lights part reminds me of the Call of Duty: Black Ops mission "Vorkuta". Maybe it's just the slaves part, I don't know, but I swear there are resemblances. That's like the second Black Ops reference I have spotted in this arc. The music of that part was very well directed as well. I hated seeing those lizard-like creatures on Ahsoka's cage again, they make the most annoying noises, and I found Ahsoka stroking her leg while waiting around, a bit unnatural and unnecessary. The duel between Anakin and Dooku was even more pointless and stupid than the one in "Shadow Warrior". Heck, Anakin didn't even last as long in this episode's duel! The Miraj death scene was actually badly done, the comic version was much better, and much more touching. In the episode, it was just like "Oh, she's dead. Ah." 
PS: Did I mention I loved the fact Atai Molec lives? Suck on that villain-haters!" :D
The ending to this arc was awesome and dark, but was nothing unexpected, and very predictable. Obi-Wan's quote "Count Dooku. Still afraid to get your hands dirty" was an choice of dialogue, and can give viewers completely the wrong idea, and after all, this is a kid's show. What I really don't get is, Obi-Wan has been tortured and hurt a lot by now, but he's as good as new when he fights the Zygerrian's with Rex when they free themselves. What's up with that? Admittedly though, Rex did all the hard work, beating up the Zygerrian's. Of course though, the show has a annoying rule now, the heroes must survive, even the small-role heroes, while the villains die, even when the villains hold all the cards, like in this situation. Rex killing Agruss was so predictable, and I don't care what any other fans say, it was truthfully so predictable. Right from the moment where Agruss says "Come now, Master Kenobi. I know a Jedi won't kill an unarmed man." So, right from that quote, you knew the over-used Rex was going to have to kill Agruss, and he did. I hate how the show is at such a predictable stage now, that and Agruss survives in the comic. And don't get me started on Rex's "I'm no Jedi." WOW! I would never have guessed! Way to state the obvious, CT-7567. Seems Rex did have a purpose for being in this arc after all is the only nice thing I can about that predictable moment. PS: Here's something weird I noticed, the character name is spelt "Agruss", but Dooku says it likes "Arguss". Mhmm...
Who do you need for a rescue operation? Wolffe and Wolfpack of course! No one better for the job, as they do rescue operation's so often now. About the only time's we see them other than stupid episodes like "Mercy Disaster". It was nice to see them again though, especially my favourite clone of all time, Commander Wolffe, who beats Rex any day. Seeing Plo Koon again was nice as well, as were the cameo's of Sinker & Comet, and the talking cameo of Warthog, finally in his phase II armour. The ending to this excellent was excellent and directed very well. My only complaint (other than Anakin not being blown up with the facility of course) was the stupid moments with those Togruta's falling. What was the purpose for that? They wasted time for fighting when we get this unnecessary garbage? The end scene with Roshti & Ahsoka talking was a great conclusion to the arc.


My verdict: This was a great episode, and an excellent conclusion to a pretty pointless arc. There are much better Clone Wars comic's out there they could and should have done, but this episode was still great, as was the cameo by Wolffe, Wolfpack and Admiral Coburn. Rating: 9/10.


And we also got a new trailer for the rest of season 4. Check it out here!


Some of the best images:
Ahsoka Tano & Lux Bonteri are back together!
Mace Windu in action for the first time since season 2.
My favourite bounty hunter Dengar is coming!
More Cad Bane action. "Have questions?"
Anakin fighting Dengar by the looks of it. 
Ahsoka duels Pre Vizsla
Awesome new bounty hunter (perhaps a disguised Dengar).
A lot of Bounty Hunters!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool review, and I like how you added the pics of the half-season trailer at the end, really makes me look foward to the rest of S4 (except for the possibility of Ahsoka and Lux getting together...ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply wanted to thank you very much yet again. I am not sure the things I could possibly have implemented in the absence of the entire points discussed by you relating to such a concern. This was a very alarming concern in my position, nevertheless discovering a new well-written form you handled that forced me to weep over fulfillment. I am grateful for the support as well as trust you find out what a great job you're getting into instructing many people with the aid of your site. Most probably you haven't come across all of us.
    Dorman 741-302 Honda CRV Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator with Motor

    ReplyDelete