Saturday 29 October 2011

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 4 "Darkness on Umbara"

The start of only our second four-part Star Wars: The Clone Wars event left the fans with high anticapation going into the first episode. The Clone Wars has always had the potential to deliver greatness, but recent episodes have disappointed many among their fans.
It's always a good sign for a great episode when you're favourite character appears for the first time this season, albeit briefly. I really liked this little introduction to the episode, especially the usual witty remark passed between Obi-Wan and Anakin. "Does my battalion have to do everything?", "You always seem to volunteer!". Classic Obi-Wan and Anakin scene.
As an action-based person, you know that an episode will only truly win me over if it has quality action. Needless to say, this episode more than rose to that challenge, even taking me by surprise how good it was, considering it was the introduction to a 4-part event, which would have to be considered. But the action in this was epic, and I loved all the fighting scenes, even the brutal ones, such as when ARC Trooper Fives decked an Umbaran, smashed his helmet before shooting the Umbaran. There was a lot of excellent fighting shown.
Halfway through the episode, came the moment everyone was anticapating. The debut of Jedi General Pong Krell. Howeverm what people might not have anticapated is, how he would treat the Clones, as if they were nothing more than lambs for the slaughter. The Clones knew all about Krell, known for his victories, but also for the highest Clone-casualty rate among the Jedi. While most have grown to hate him because of how he treats the honourable Clones, I really like Krell, and he is certainly an interesting character for the show, and not your usual Jedi. I'll put it this way, you either love him for what he is, or you hate him because of how he treats Clones. Krell even goes as far to make a speech in anger, saying "Captain, do I need to remind you of this battalion's strategic mission, in conquering this planet? Look back! See those platoons? They're mission is to take this city and swiftly! Time and rest are luxuries, the Republic cannot afford. We are the key to this invasion. The other battalions are counting on our support, if we fail, everyone fails! Do you understand this?!?! Do ALL of you understand this???"
As this is a Clone-centric arc, we were bound to get lots of Clones and they didn't disappoint. So many named Clones, and I've found myself panicking when I've thought a named one was going to die. Experienced heads such as Jesse, Kix and Hardcase from "The Deserter" joined Rex and Fives, along with the new Clones Dogma & Tup for this 4-part event. Jesse, Tup and Dogma, left to right, played fairly small roles in this episode, Tup is younger, and more of a newbie and Dogma is a bit of a "rule follower". I was disappointed at how small a role Dogma had here, one scene, his introduction, and that was about it for him. Tup was a bit more important, and some of the more experienced ones like Rex and Jesse teased him a bit early on. Such as Jesse's line "That's why they're called the Shadow People, Tup!" referring to the Umbarans. Lots of awesome Clone action in this episode, and I hope for more of the same from the rest of this event.
The animation in this episode was epic, arguably the best of the show so far. This green explosion was just one of the well-detailed animated moments of the episode, and looked really class. The lighting of Umbara in general was also stunning, and I can't wait to see what the animation will be like for the rest of the season.
The climax of this episode was one of the best in the series in my opinion. Having retreated, Rex is confronted angrily by Krell, who tells Rex what he thinks of what he has done. Fives argues that Rex saved the platoon, but Krell draws his lightsaber on Fives, silencing him. Rex then makes a small speech to Krell, which for me was one of the most inspirational speeches I have ever heard, regardless of how short it was. "Sir. If I may adress you're accusation, I followed you're orders, even the poor plan, that wasn't my opinion nearly flawed! A plan that cost us men, not Clones, men! As sure as it is my duty, to remain loyal to your command, I also have another duty, to protect those men!" Krell informs Rex his opinion has been noted, while Fives says Krell then almost compliments Rex. The episode then ends with the Umbarans launching another attack, and the episode concludes with the Clones holding their ground.

Now, this episode showed personalities and development of several characters, such as Rex and Fives, but there was one other who stood out more so:
Some may remember him, some may not, as this Clone was little more than scenery in his only other appearance besides this 4-part event. His name is Hardcase. As I said, all the way back in season 2, his only other appearance, he could easily have been mistaken for part of the background, his role was that minimal, even some characters who appear for a few seconds are more recognizable than the nothing Hardcase did in season 2, and he had a full episode. No longer. Hardcase was explored with MUCH more depth this time, and has immediately shot to my second favourite Clone (no one beats the Wolffe!!!), but he was great to watch. He actually makes for a really interesting character, and he has some of the best quotes I have ever heard. I definitly look forward to seeing more of Hardcase, and I hope he survives this arc, he's too cool to toss away now. Here are a few of his best quotes:
"Time to lock and load!"
"You want a piece of this???"
"HAHA! Where are you going???"

In season 2, his personality and character wasn't explored, it was explored here, and I now really enjoy this character...

My verdict: WOAH! I did expect brilliance from this episode, but just HOW brilliant took me completely by surprise. This has at least equaled the best if not bettered my previous best episode of the series. I would give it 1000/10, but I realize that's not possible, so 10/10 will have to do.

3 comments:

  1. Nice review, I disagree with you on some things, but they were opinion things. However, there were some factual flaws in your review...
    This wasn't Obi-Wan's first appearance, nor his longest. Also, you messed up Rex's speach, a lot...
    "Sir. If I may adress you're accusation, I followed your orders, even in the face of a plan, that, was in my opinion, severely flawed; a plan that cost us men, not clones, men! As sure as it is my duty, to remain loyal to your command, I also have another duty, to protect those men!" Nice review anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for Obi-Wan I meant as an actual appearance, not just a hologram. As for Rex, I was in a rush while writing this review and did mess up the speech. I am aware of what is said though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we actually did see Obi-Wan(not in holographic form) longer than we did in this episode this season. And I see about Captain Rex.

    ReplyDelete